Friday, December 30, 2016

Detaching with Love

Today, I read something in Madeleine L'Engle's book, "A Circle of Quiet," that really resonates with things I've been learning in Al Anon.

On page 118, she writes,
"It takes a tremendous maturity, a maturity I don't possess, to strike the balance of involvement/detachment which makes us creatively useful, able to be compassionate, to be involved in the other person's suffering rather than in our response to it."
The first time I encountered this idea was in the Detachment bookmark that I was given on my first visit to Al Anon:





It is something that I struggle with daily, but when I make things all about me, it causes all sorts of sickness, mental and physical. It is only when I have detachment with love that I am able to be of value in someone else's life.
♥ Melody

No comments:

Post a Comment