Wednesday, June 5, 2013

1 Honey bee in the Garden:: June 5, 2013

I have said before that I am very worried for the honey bees, not just in my area, - though I can see a significant decline from past years just in my yard - but across the nation.

In past years, I have always seen bees on my blossoming sage, but this year there was only 2 when Jared went out to check - and 1 was dead with its head stuck in the blossom eating.

Here is the latest news about honey bees in 2013.


And if you're wanting to look even deeper into the problem, this article talks about colony collapse disorder.

Also, if you'd like to brush up on your basic honey bee facts from elementary school, here is a page that talks about drones (males used only for breeding), worker bees (entirely female - they are the ones you'll see on the flowers), and the queen.

And this is the lone honey bee in my yard:











I wish all the best for her and her hive. May the queen have many babies, the worker bees gather all the food they need for winter, and the weather/climate/pollution not take too much toll on their little family.

What about in your area? Have you seen many bees this year? Even the bumble bees and wasps aren't showing up in my yard this year. Normally, I'd be happy about the lack of wasps, but it is very concerning to not see any pollinators buzzing around.



No comments:

Post a Comment