Thursday, July 5, 2012

Our Independence Day::July 5

Since Steve took Emily and Matt to Martin's Cove for the 4th of July, Jared, Michael and I were on our own to have some Independence Day fun.

So we drove to the city, 'cause their ain't nothin' happenin' in our little town. We went and looked in all of the tents at the Freedom Festival, then we went on over to the carnival. It seems that the only ride that was Michael's size and speed was the merry go round.... so we rode that...twice. :) Jared rode a couple of rides too; I can't remember the name of the one, but he rode the ferris wheel once.




Afterward, Michael still really wanted to go swimming, just like he had all day, so we drove up to our favorite pool, but they were closed. :( I promised we'd go back soon.

After buying some treats at the store, we headed down to get our spot to watch fireworks. Steve hates going to the fireworks, so I thought I'd do what he hated, since I never get to go when he is around.

We got to the park about 9:00, laid out our blanket, and sat down with our snacks to wait. And wait. And wait. I was hoping that the fireworks would start at 9:30, but nope. We could see smaller fireworks going off in every direction that we looked. Jared and I watched those... Michael really liked watching the street lights go on. What a funny kid! Fireworks popping all around us, and he watches the street lights. Someday I hope to understand how his mind works!

So we sat there and ate a few chips, a banana or two, Jared bought a bag of cherries a guy was selling, so he ate those. And we waited some more.

Then a toddler that belonged to the family on the blanket in front of us had a melt down. She'd gain control of herself just in time to lose it again. Over, and over, and over. And her parents were just as annoying as she was. (Who shoots snapshots at fireworks?? The flash on that sucker was SO bright! But they got some cute family photos in the middle of the night, I suppose. grrrr.)

Meanwhile, the people behind us were talking in their absolute loudest voice to communicate with the person just next to them... to be honest, I didn't mind that his wife and the other women left to go to the bathroom at Shaun's and might not make it back in time for fireworks.... but he seemed bugged.

And then, the grand finale! A car horn, a safety feature to protect from car theft, went off..... and fifteen minutes later, I realized I was done. The "real" fireworks hadn't even started....but I'd had it. I looked at my cell phone: 10:00 p.m. and I realized that no matter where I am and no matter what I'm doing, 10:00 is my limit. I can't even stand my own flesh and blood after 10... what made me think that I could stand obnoxious people?? So we left, came home, and went right to bed. I'm feeling like myself again; my claws are retracted and my snarl has become a smile again.

Today, I was supposed to take Tilly the cat to get his claws removed.... but I backed out. I need to rethink it.

I might be getting together with my great friend from Minnesota today, we'll just have to see what her schedule is like.

Other than that, I have plans to sit and watched hours of "The Big Bang Theory". It is terrible with crude humor. But it is hilarious. So, hilarious wins. ;)

Have a terrific day!

No comments:

Post a Comment