Monday, June 22, 2009

Gourmet Macaroni & Cheese


Tonight I soooo didn't want to cook! (okay, so really, I never want to cook!) I thought of macaroni & cheese and immediately felt sorry for Steve! SO! I spiced up my macaroni and cheese and made what I will call: Gourmet Macaroni & Cheese (do you think I'm pathetic? I probably am, but I really think you'll like this recipe!)



Okay this is so easy! Basically you are going to prepare macaroni & cheese according to the box directions except you're going to omit the milk and substitute a 14.5 oz can of Italian Style Stewed Tomatoes (including the juice - it will be the liquid for the recipe). Add some browned, crumbled, and drained hamburger and Voilà! Gourmet Macaroni and Cheese.

Here is the detailed recipe:

Ingredients:
2 boxes of macaroni & cheese (I ♥ Kraft)
1 stick of butter
Cheese packets from the mac & cheese mixes
1 - 14.5 oz. can of Italian Style Stewed Tomatoes
1/2 pound of hamburger, browned, crumbled, and drained.

In a largish pot bring water to a boil and add macaroni. Boil uncovered for 7-10 minutes until softened (do not overcook). Drain noodles and add 1 stick of butter that's been cut into pieces (it will melt quicker); stir to melt butter in noodles. Add can of tomatoes, including the juice (the juice will take the place of the milk.) Stir in the cheese packets.

While macaroni is cooking, brown and crumble 1/2 pound of hamburger in a skillet. Drain grease off of the hamburger and add to the prepared macaroni, cheese, & tomato mixture. Generously serves 6.

Martha Stewart look out! Or not.

4 comments:

  1. I make a similar recipe that my kids love! It is great on a night when I need something easy for everyone to eat!

    Randi

    http://ihavetosay.typepad.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm dying to find out! How is the wedding coming? The planning? The date? Are you just going crazy? Ack - I wish I were there to help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL!!! I think many of us moms have mac&cheese concoctions! Mine is:

    1 box kraft mac&cheese prepared
    1 can hormel chili w/o beans
    1 can corn
    1 sm can sliced olives
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1 cup shredded cheese

    mix it all together, throw it in a casserole dish and into the oven at 350 for 20-25 minutes. I throw extra cheese on top and take it out when it is getting a little brown and crispy.

    ReplyDelete