Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Carpe Diem

This past week I have been suffering with a tremendous ache in my stomach. It caused me to go to the doctor, ER, and yesterday I went and got an EGD scope done. It appears that I have ulcers on my esophagus. The sphincter muscle leading to the stomach doesn't shut properly. The doctor, after scoping me, told my husband that if I don't get the ulcers healed that cancer is very likely. So. I am now taking the much-hated PPI acid blocker that he prescribed.

During the ER visit, the doc ordered an ultrasound to rule out appendix or gall bladder trouble. No problem with those organs, but it seems that my kidneys have abnormalities in them. After looking up kidney lesions, thinning, nodules, and cysts on the internet, I made a consultation appt with a nephrologist. The fun just never ends.

I was talking with my dad the other day. I am the baby in my family, so I am seeing the genetic possibilities as my aunts and uncles die from one thing or another, but typically not just from old age. On my dad's side, my aunts have cancer and my uncles have high blood pressure/heart problems. On my mom's side, lupus, kidney disease, & diabetes are standard. I told him that I have looked over my gene pool and have decided that I want to get out! That's right! Everyone out of the pool. Impurities have been detected.

I certainly hope that all of you had a way better week than I have! But, then again, it *could* always be worse. I am thankful that I felt pain and went to the doc so that they could catch my esophagus problem *before* cancer had attacked. And I am thankful that I *know* that I have kidney problems early on, so that I can baby my kidneys, and hopefully not be in renal failure like my mother is.

Carpe Diem!

3 comments:

  1. Oh Melody~ I'm so sorry to hear you are going through all this. I will keep you in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you! OUT OF THE POOL!:) I'm so glad you are my friend, you make it easy to laugh with you, even in the face of apparent disaster. We will slog thru this crap and be fine. There's a quote by Ann Landers that I've been using..."Expect trouble as an inevitable part of life, and, when it comes, hold your head high, look it squarely in the eye and say, "I will be bigger than you. You cannot defeat me."

    ReplyDelete