Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Back to School Blues

School time has begun! I am homeschooling my three youngest kids again this year and sending my two older ones to a charter school. They are in High School!! I can't believe how quickly children grow!

I have been cooking with Emily and Matt during school. We have been making snacks/treats to eat to brighten up our days. So far, so good. The kids love baking, so it is something that they really look forward to.

I haven't gotten much accomplished as far as preserving anything. My apricot tree is loaded, and I have got to find a few spare hours to bottle as much of it as I can!

The squash bugs are still loving the zucchini, and the chickens are still loving the squash bugs I bring to them.

The cool weather crops are doing well, so far.

I have *got* to get the goats into a bigger space. Ellie, the nubian, has gotten over the fence a few times, and today went into the chicken coop. I decided to leave her there, because every time that I looked out the window to check on her she seemed to just be nibbling on tree limbs and being good, but Jared brought in the three Japanese chicks and said that Ellie had broken through the chicken tractor's wiring in the run area and the mama had deserted and left the babies. Luckily the cat didn't get them. They are back in the basement (can I tell you how sick I am of having animals in the basement?!?) until tomorrow when I can go and assess the situation and perhaps put the mama back in the tractor with the babies after I fix the coop. Fences and coops *always* need repair, don't they?!

Ah, the best part of my day was when I finally finished baking the bread that rose for 6 hours.

I didn't mean for it to rise that long! After picking the kids up from school I learned that they needed this and that for class tomorrow, so without thinking I took them shopping without remembering about the rising dough. It all turned out fine, though, thank heavens! I hate spending time doing a project to have it be for naught.

I am now finished. Done. Kapoot.

See you tomorrow, I hope!

P.S. I forgot to tell you the quote that my daughter told me today after school:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is often dressed in overalls and looks like work."

No comments:

Post a Comment